I had this soup two days ago with Chapati. It was so good. Please don’t confuse yellow-split pea with Split-Desi Chickpea. I took a break from blogging a few weeks ago, and now it’s so difficult to get back on schedule, again. I hope you’re enjoying fall. I wish you a wonderful weekend, ahead.
Simple Ham and Yellow Split Pea Soup
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Cooking time: 1 hour; Serves: 4
- 30g (2 tablespoons) butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- ½ cup finely diced bell pepper
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced smoked ham
- 250g (½ Ib, 1⅓ cups) split yellow peas, washed until clear and drained
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (broth)
- Bouquet Garni (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (Note: the smoked ham is very salty)
- Finely chopped herbs to top
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a pot or skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, bell pepper and carrots and sauté about 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the ham and the peas and continue cooking about 2 minutes. Season the soup with pepper.
- Add the stock (broth), and bouquet garni if using and bring to the boil and simmer 45-60 minutes. If the soup is too thick you can add a little more stock. Readjust seasoning.
- Remove the bouquet garni and serve the soup.
Points to Note
- The ham is very salty so taste the soup before adding salt.
- if you want the peas to maintain their shape then you’ll probably cook them for about 40 minutes. I like mine mushed up. Adjust the time accordingly
myfavouritepastime.com: Last Updated July 12 2018