You can make two 8×4 inch loaves or 6 mini loaves (5.75 x 3 inch/14.6 x 7-62cm). You can also halve the recipe and just make on 8×4 inch loaf. The best part of this sweet bread is the orange juice and the orange glaze. It makes a huge difference to the bread. I hope you’re enjoying your weekend. I wish you a pleasant week, ahead!
Always assemble ingredients before you start. Sift or whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
Whisk together the eggs, milk, orange juice, vegetable oil and zest (rind)..
Add the egg mixture to the well
and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
Pour the batter into the prepared pans up to an inch below the rim
Bake 40 minutes or about 50 minutes if using large pans
Drizzle the orange glaze over the warm bread.
Quick Orange Bread with Lemon Glaze
Preparation time: 5 minutes; Baking time: 40 mins Makes: 6 mini loaves (5.75 x 3 inch) or two 8×4 inch loaves
- 500g (4 cups, 17.6oz) all purpose flour (spoon the flour into the cup, do not scoop)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 380g (2 cups, 13.4oz) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 370ml (1½ cups) milk
- 120ml (½ cup) orange juice
- 120ml (½ cup) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 cup confectioners (icing) sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC) ten minutes before using. Grease 6 mini loaf pans or two 8 x 4 inch loaf pans.
- Sift or whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre.c Whisk together the eggs, milk, orange juice, vegetable oil and zest (rind).
- Add the egg mixture to the well and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans up to an inch below the rim and bake 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Optional: sprinkle sugar on top then bake 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Orange Glaze: combine orange juice and icing sugar and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Drizzle over the warm bread.
Points to Note
- The recipe can be easily halved to make one 8 x 4 loaf or three mini loaves.
You can replace the orange juice with same quantity milk.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml, American cup.