I have just finished the last of this bread right now, with my cup of Orange Pekoe Tea. It tasted good. The main ingredients are sun-dried tomato, olives and cheddar cheese. You can use any combination of savoury ingredients that you like. I wish you a pleasant weekend!
Olive Sun-dried Tomato and Cheddar Bread
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Baking time: 40-45 minutes’ Makes: 8 x 4-inch loaf
- 280g (2¼ cups, 10oz) all-purpose flour (for cup measure spoon the flour into the cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 125g (4 oz), mature cheddar cheese , diced into small cubes
- 6-8 sun-dried-tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped green olives
- 2 eggs
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil (can use extra virgin olive oil)
- 300ml (1¼ cups) buttermilk
- Egg wash (1 yolk beaten with 2 teaspoons water)
- Chopped parsley or cilantro to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC) ten minutes before using. Grease and flour an 8 x 4 inch (20 x 10cm) loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and black pepper until well combined. Stir in the oregano, cheddar, sun-dried tomatoes and olives into the flour. Make a well in the centre.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, olive oil and buttermilk.
- Pour the egg-buttermilk mixture into the well. Mix gently with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are well combined. (The dough will be sticky.)
- Transfer the dough into the prepared bread pan and spread it evenly. Brush with the egg wash if you like and garnish with chopped herbs. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown on top and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.).Let rest in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer onto the cooling rack.
Points to Note
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml, American cup.
- You can vary this savoury bread by adding other ingredients of your choice like bacon, chives, other type of cheeses etc.
myfavouritepastime.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.