Whenever I’m feeling lazy but I still want to eat a nice home cooked meal, I bake the food in the oven. The main ingredients here are ground beef, mixed veggies, a good quality red wine, pasta and lots of shredded cheese to top. You can vary the type and amount of cheese to suit your palate. Have a lovely day. Please send me some virtual sun shine.
Add the ground beef
and cook over hight heat for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink and nicely browned.
Pasta and Beef Casserole
Preparation Time: 20 minutes; Total Cooking Time: 50-60 minutes; Serves: 4-6
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 500g (1 Ib) ground beef (minced beef)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup crushed tomato or Italian strained tomatoes
- 1 cup sweetcorn kernels
- 1 cup green peas
- ½ cup good quality red wine
- ½ cup broth (stock)
- ½ cup 10% cream (half and half)
- Salt to taste
- 400g (14oz) short Pasta of your choice
- 1 to 2 cups grated mature cheddar and mozzarella or other cheese of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC) ten minutes before using.
- In a large frying pan, cook the bacon until browned. Add the onions and Jalapeño and cook until soft.
- Add the ground beef and cook over hight heat for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink and nicely browned.
- Add the paprika and cook a further one minute.
- Stir in the crushed tomato, corn, green peas and red wine and cook a further 5 minutes. Add the broth and cream, and season with salt. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile boil macaroni in plenty of salted water as per packet instructions until al dente. Drain and transfer to a 9 x 13-inch pyrex dish. Add the beef and mix thoroughly.
- Top with the grated cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and browned on top. Serve immediately.