We have been eating lots of roast chicken lately. The main ingredient here is cumin. Please ensure that you buy cumin seeds, roast them and freshly grind them for better results and taste. I added some peas and carrots in the last ten minutes of baking. The weather in my small corner of the world is perfect. I now look forward to walking in the mornings. I walked over winter and it was brutal. Have a lovely day my friend.
Cut deep slits on each chicken pieces and rub the spice evenly over each chicken, on both sides.
Bake the chicken at 375ºF (190ºC) for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the chicken is fully cooked.
Serve with your favourite carbohydrate
Spicy Lemon and Cumin Chicken
Ingredients for the marinade
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly roasted and ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Zest (rind) of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 large chicken legs, or breasts or 1 whole chicken cut into 4 pieces or 12 drumsticks or thighs
- Cucumber Salad
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut deep slits on each chicken piece and rub the spice evenly over each chicken, on both sides.
- Cover and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Bake the chicken at 375ºF (190ºC) for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve with some salad and rice or flat bread.
- You can also BBQ the chicken for 15-20 minutes in a BBQ grill.
Points to Note
- Cumin: roast cumin seeds in a small pan or skillet until lightly browned (do not burn). Grind with a pestle and mortar or in a spice grinder. Store in an airtight container.
- I always add some veggies in the last 15-20 minutes of baking.