My Favourite Muffins
Lemon, coconut and glacé cherries are an excellent combination. The muffins were also glazed with hot lemon syrup. I think this is what I loved most about them. I hope you had an excellent weekend. Wish you a great week, ahead!
They tasted awesome
Cherry Lemon and Coconut Muffins
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Baking Time:: 20-25 minutes; Makes: 19 Medium muffins or 12 extra large or 24 small muffins
- 375g (3 cups, 13oz) all-purpose (plain) flour
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) baking powder
- 2½ml (½ teaspoon) baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 250g (1 cup, 9oz) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 400ml (1⅔ cups, 13fl oz) plain whole milk yoghurt
- 125 g (½ cup, 1 stick + 1tablespoon) butter, melted
- grated zest (rind) from 1 lemon
- 1 cup chopped glacé cherries
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 50g (3 tablespoons, 2oz) sugar, extra
- 45ml (3 tablespoons) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) or 350ºF (180ºC) convection. Line 2 medium, 12-hole, muffin tins (pans) with muffin cases.
- Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda (bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- In another bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, yoghurt, melted butter and lemon zest (rind) until well blended. Add the whisked mixture to the sifted flour. Stir gently until just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in cherries and coconut.
- Spoon mixture evenly, into prepared muffin tins (pans). Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 20-25 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Lemon Syrup: In a small saucepan, heat the extra sugar and lemon juice over medium heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, Bring to the boil and remove from the heat. Brush the hot lemon syrup over warm muffins.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need.
Point to Note
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the muffins at 350°F (180°C) convection for 25 minutes