I hope all my Canadian friends had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We ate a lot of food over the over the weekend so I’m planning to starve myself for about 5 days to avoid adding extra pounds. The best thing about this cake is the addition of butterscotch chips. They are very addictive, I tell you. I wish you a wonderful week!
Always remember to assemble all ingredients before starting.
Cream butter, vanilla essence and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Fold in half the banana with half the sifted flour.
Fold in the remaining banana and flour.
Fold in the chocolate chips.. .
Transfer batter into prepared tin (pan).
Bake at 325°F (160°C) for one hour. Stand for ten minutes before cooling on wire rack
Slice and serve
Butterscotch and Chocolate Banana Bread
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Total cooking time: 50 minutes Makes: 9 x 5 loaf
- 200g (7oz, 1¾ cup) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125g (½ cup; 8 tablespoons, 4.5oz) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 180g (¾ cup, 6.5oz) sugar
- 2 eggs
- I cup mashed bananas (3 large bananas)
- ½ cup butterscotch chips (you can add more if you wish)
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (you can add more if you wish)
- Grease a 14cm x 24cm (5” x 9” ) loaf pan. Line the base with parchment (grease-proof paper) and flour the sides.
- Cream butter, vanilla essence and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well until combined.
- Fold in half the banana with half the sifted flour. Fold in the remaining banana and flour.
- Fold in the chocolate chips..
- Bake at 325°F (160°C) for one hour. Stand for ten minutes before cooling on wire rack. Serve with butter.
Points to note:
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked this cake at 325°F (160°C) for 60 minutes.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need.
- If using the small sweet bananas use six to eight depending on the size.
Wow, does this sound awesome! Thanks for breaking it down so well! I love to grill but I am not the best baker yet!
I love to bake but I’m not an expert in grilling. I should learn from you!
Looks fantastic! I’m afraid if I baked it I might eat the whole thing and before it gets cold! I better plan on having friends over! Hahaha. Hank you for sharing his delectable treat! Have a lovely weekend! 🙂
That sounds like a good idea. When I baked mine there were no friends over so you can imagine how much I ate.
Have a pleasant week!
Hahaha! No guilt! Enjoy! 🙂
Oh yum. I haven’t used butterscotch chips in ages and yet they are so delicious! Thanks for the reminder.
Mine had been sitting in the cold room for some time, then I found them and made good use! I wish you a pleasant week!
Butterscotch chips are the bomb!! I sneak them out of the bag all the time, so addictive! Kat
I discovered some more in my cold room last night. I’ve been sneaking there to eat them. I think they’ll be gone by the end of the week!
After dinner when you open the WP reader in your cellphone and your favorite butter scotch recipe pops up on the screen, you crave and drool and wish to eat it as dessert!
Liz, this was me after seeing this post😀, butter scotch is my favorite😊. Great recipe that needs to be tried this weekend.
Ha ha. Ashu, I wish I could send you a slice. Have a pleasant week!
Oh my goodness. Just love your blog and this delicious yummy bread. Chocolate AND butterscotch …..
I am now following you and would like to know if you would be interested to be a Guest poster with us, and share some of your awesome recipes on our blog?
Have a look at: https://cookandenjoyrecipes.wordpress.com/2016/08/05/fellow-bloggers-sharing-is-caring-recipe-exchange/ and leave me a note in the comments of this post, if you’re interested. That will be just fantastic. Hope to hear from you soon 😊
I am sorry I’m so busy I am not even able to cope with my own blog on a regular basis the way I want. Glad to hear you have guest posting. Have a wonderful week!
Thanks for response Liz. I have since closed this particular program, but in mid to end November will launch a new format.
All the best with your blog, keep it up.
This is so beautiful it brings a tear to the eye.
I love love butterscotch. Tasted great
Oh my Liz – I saw this recipe on my reader and I will definitely have to make this version. I mean the addition of chocolate and butterscotch – this has got to be good 🙂
ha ha I really loved the melting gooey butterscotch chips. They were awesome
oh man that looks so good!!