I wanted to eat pasta with a blue cheese sauce but I didn’t want an over the top recipe with too much cream or cheese. This sauce is mild, tasty and with a hint of blue cheese. If you want more cheese or cream, please go ahead. I hope you enjoy it!
Pasta with Blue Cheese Sauce
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Cooking time: 50 minutes; Serves: 4
- 3-4 tablespoons butter or olive oil or a mix of both
- 500g (1 Ib) boneless, skinless chicken cut into cubes
- 125g (½ Ib, 5oz) finely chopped button mushrooms
- I small red onion finely chopped
- 2 level tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 125ml (½ cup) good quality white wine
- 375ml (1½ cups) good quality chicken stock (homemade is better)
- 250ml (1 cup) 35% cream (whipping cream)
- Freshly grated Parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 50-100g (3-4 oz) blue cheese (you can vary amount to suit your palate)
- 350g (12oz) Pasta
- Season chicken with salt and freshly ground pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and stir fry chicken over high heat until no longer pink and cooked through. Set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the mushrooms and onions in the remaining butter or olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the stock while continuously stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the wine and cream and stir to combine. Simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes until reduced to half. Season with pepper, and salt, if necessary.
- Meanwhile boil pasta in plenty of salted water until al dente. Drain.
- Place broccoli on a plate, cover and cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes. Don’t over cook it. (or add the broccoli to the pasta in the last three minutes of cooking)
- Add the broccoli and chicken to the sauce. Heat until piping hot.
- Add freshly grated Parmigiano reggiano and crumble the blue cheese on top. Stir to mix in the cheeses.. Serve the sauce with some pasta.