My Favourite Stuffings
Mushroom Sun-dried Tomato Stuffing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups finely chopped mushrooms (about 225g, 8oz)
- 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup short-grain rice (arborio)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup peeled and coarsely grated Granny Smith apple
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based pan over medium high heat and add the onions. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the mushrooms, and cook on high heat for 7 minutes or until well browned.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, rice, tomato paste and chicken stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and, simmer, covered, 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in grated apple. The rice will not be fully cooked at this stage but it’s okay because it will continue cooking in the roast chicken.
- Use this to stuff a 1.6 kg chicken (3½ Ib)