My Favourite Ingredients
Bulgur is the whole grain of wheat (kernel) that has been steam cooked and dried, and then cracked into different sizes, usually, coarse grain, medium grain and fine grain.
So bulgur is a pre-cooked and cracked product made from whole, wheat grain.
It’s the main ingredient in Tabbouleh, an Arab salad of cracked wheat The coarse grain is recommended for pilaf, the medium grain for hot cereal and the fine grain is usually used in salads, especially Tabbouleh.
What is the Difference Between Bulgar wheat and Cracked Wheat
The term bulgur is often used interchangeably with cracked wheat. Both are cracked wheat but bulgur is pre-cooked and cracked wheat is not pre-cooked.
How to Cook Bulgur Wheat
- Since bulgur is pre-cooked, it can be boiled briefly for about 5 minutes, then the heat is turned off and pot tightly covered until all the water is absorbed. (15-20 minutes)
- It can also be“cooked” by soaking in boiling water and covering tightly with a lid until all the water is absorbed. (20-30 minutes.)
- The ratio is 2 cups water for 1 cup of bulgur.
What is the Nutritional Value of Bulgar Wheat?
Bulgur wheat is high in carbohydrate, fibre and protein; has a good source of B vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, iron and zinc. It has negligible amounts of fat and sugar.
How to Serve Bulgar Wheat
- Bulgur is popular in European, Middle Eastern, and Indian cuisine. It can be served hot or cold.
- It can also be served as a hot cooked cereal.
- Ir’s used as an ingredient in salads, stews and soups; for stuffing or filling peppers, squash or cabbage; or as a substitute for rice or other grains.
- It’s a great accompaniment to meat, fish or poultry.
- Cooked bulgur can be combined with ground beef, pork or turkey to make meatballs or meat loaf.
How to Shop for Bulgur Wheat
- Bulgar can be found in health food stores, in the bulk food section.
- It can also be found in supermarkets, in bulk food sections, baking aisle, with other grains or in the International Foods section.
- Speciality stores, like middle eastern stores.
How to Store Bulgar Wheat
Store in an airtight container, in a cool dry place.
myfavouritepastime.com Last Updated: May 18, 2018