My Favourite Soups
What was your New Year’s Resolution? My main one was to eat more veggies and now I try to eat vegetarian food every lunch time. Today I had this vegetable soup with some garlic bread. It’s basically a vegetable soup with some beans and coconut milk. You can add whatever veggies suits your palate. I added carrots, potatoes, turnips, and parsnips and some Kale. It was nice and hot and good for a cold day. Have a wonderful week, my friend. Send me some sunshine!
Mixed Vegetable Soup with Cannellini Beans
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Cooking time: 35 minutes; Serves: 4-6
- 45ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil
- 10ml (2 teaspoons) black mustard seeds
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli seeded and chopped (optional)
- ½-1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 450g (1 Ib) mixed vegetables diced into ½ inch cubes
- 2 cups cannellini beans (or any other bean of your choice)
- 4 fresh curry leaves (I couldn’t find any, used bay leaves instead)
- 750ml (3 cups) stock (add only 2⅓ cups at the beginning)
- 1 x 400ml can (1⅔ cups, 14floz) coconut milk
- 1-2 cups shredded spinach, Kale, or Swiss chard or 1 cup peas
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the mustard seeds. Cover and cook until they begin to pop. Add the onion, celery and chilli and cook for 5-7 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in turmeric and curry powder and cook 1 minute, then add the mixed vegetables and stir till coated with spices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the coconut milk, 2⅓ cups stock, beans and curry leaves. Bring to the boil simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Add the spinach or kale and cook for 5 minutes or to your desired doneness. Check seasoning. Add cilantro (coriander) just before serving