I made this sweet cornbread over Canadian Thanksgiving and we really loved it. I made it again, yesterday, and it tasted even better. If you plan to make it, please use buttermilk. It gives the best result. It’s the best sweet cornbread you’ll ever come across!!!
I hope you are enjoying the week. We still have a lovely weather but soon, the cold will set in. I have learnt to carry my weather with me so I’ll just quickly adjust and move on to the next season. I wish you a happy week!
The Perfect Sweet Cornbread with Buttermilk
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Baking time: 20-25 minutes; Makes: 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm)
- 175g (1⅓ cups, 6oz) all-purpose flour
- 300g (2 cups) yellow cornmeal
- 4½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 150g (⅔ cup, 5oz, 10 tablespoons 1⅓ stick) salted butter or margarine, melted (I used Selection margarine)
- 180g (1 scant cup, 6oz) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 400ml (1⅔ cups, 13.5fl oz) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C) regular setting or 400°F (200°C) convection setting; ten minutes before baking. Grease a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking pan and line the bottom with parchment. Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, eggs and buttermilk. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the well and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix. (It will have small lumps and this is okay).
- Pour the batter into prepared pan (tin) and bake 20-25 minutes or until the top turns golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre, comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Let rest for ten minutes then cut into squares (while still in the pan) and serve warm.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Points to Note:
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven.
- I bake this bread using convection setting at 400°F (200°C) for 20-22 minutes.
- If you find the bread too sweet, reduce the sugar to 150g (¾ cup).
- Last updated: February 19 2019
Step By Step Photos
Please always remember to assemble ingredients before you start
Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
Make a well in the centre.
In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, eggs and buttermilk.
until well blended
Pour the buttermilk mixture into the well and stir gently
until just combined (it will have small lumps and this is okay).
Pour the batter into the prepared pan (tin) and bake 20-25 minutes or until the top turns golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre, comes out clean.
Remove from oven. Let rest for ten minutes
cut into squares while still in the pan. (I almost forgot to take this photo. I was busy eating!)
and serve warm
We devoured it in minutes, ha ha!
myfavouritepastime.com Last updated: February 19 2019