With Red Wine
Ever since I started making my own sauces am eating less and less of store-bought sauces. I prefer making my own, fresh sauce, with fresh herbs and wine. I love cooking with wine. It gives a very unique aroma and a lovely taste to the food. Homemade sauce can be stored in the fridge for a week but you can also freeze it. We enjoyed eating this sauce and hope you do too!
Serve as a pasta.sauce
Easy Marinara Sauce
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Cooking time: 40 minutes; Makes: about 6 x 250ml cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian dressing
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1kg plum tomatoes (8-10 medium tomatoes), skinned and chopped or 1 x 796ml (28 fl oz) can whole Italian plum tomatoes, (chop the tomatoes before use)
- 1 x 680ml Strained ItalianTomatoes
- ½ cup good quality red wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, sauté 10 minutes. Add Italian seasoning, chilli flakes and crushed garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in sugar, tomatoes, strained tomatoes, wine, salt and pepper to taste, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Remove from heat, stir in basil and vinegar. Serve with pasta.