My Favourite Salads
One of my new year resolutions, was to eat more fruits and veggies. This went on so well until the summer holidays arrived and I set out the BBQ on the deck. The whole summer was spent grilling all kinds of meat and eating anything and everything. I think I’ve gained about 10 pounds and I am thoroughly disgusted with myself. Okay I can’t complain for ever. It’s time to start eating healthy again. I had this salad, with brown rice, for my dinner last night. Did somebody mention brown rice? Oh yes I did. This is the first time I’m eating brown rice in 71 days…sigh!!! Our Friday has started with a gush of rain and it’s rather dull and grey, but a lovely day all the same. I wish you a very happy and fulfilling weekend.
combine olive oil, crushed garlic, pepper flakes and salt. Brush on cut side of zucchini
Drizzle the dressing over the salad and let stand for at least 30 minutes, stirring at least once. Serve as a side.
Grilled Zucchini Salad
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 8 minutes Serves: 4
For Grilling Zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½-1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 2 medium Zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 2 medium Italian tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 1 tablespoon, finely shredded, fresh herbs (in season)
Balsamic Vinegar Dressing
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To grill zucchini: combine olive oil, crushed garlic, pepper flakes and salt. Brush on cut side of zucchini. Grill on a hot, greased, grill pan (on stove top) for about 3 minutes or until charred with dark marks. Flip and cook the other side for 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and dice into ¼ inch (6mm) cubes. Place in a bowl. Add the diced tomatoes, red onions and the fresh herbs.
- To make Balsamic Vinegar Dressing: mix all ingredients in a small bottle and shake until thoroughly mixed. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and let stand for at least 30 minutes, stirring at least once. Serve as a side.
- Last Updated: May 3 2018