With a Dash of Orange Juice
Spring officially began on the 20th March but today felt like ‘real spring’ with temperatures of up to 4 °c (39°F), coupled with some nice cool sunshine. I actually came back from my walk, sweating!! I was a bit slow on posting last week, but I did a lot of cooking so I have piles of posts, waiting to be unleashed.
Today I decided to go orange. As I mentioned last week “orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement and motivation. It’s associated with joy and sunshine. I want to start my week on a bright bubbly note.
I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and also hope you all started your week on a bubbly note, like me. I am trying to be as positive as possible but of course I do slip many times a day. But as we always say, “If you fall, just stand up and walk on.” That reminds me of one day, two weeks ago, when the snow was melting all over the place and I fell on my butt, along with all my grocery. Oh boy-it was so hilarious. I stood up so fast, hoped nobody saw me fall, and walked at Olympic pace. Later on in the night I had a really good laugh. I’m lucky because, somehow, I always fall on my butt. It was so funny, one minute, I was walking happily, and the next minute I was seated on the cold, icy sidewalk, wondering, “What happened?”
So much for the falling trivia, today I want to share the recipe for carrot and sweet potato soup. I love sweet potatoes. In fact, I love all potatoes. So settle back and enjoy the recipe. If you are reading this line, thanks for your patience and support and do come back again.
Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Cooking time: 40 minutes; Serves: 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- I large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 clove garlics, crushed
- 450g (1 Ib) carrots, peeled and sliced
- 300g (10.5oz) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 level teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1000ml (4 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
- 2-3 fresh basil stems, bruised
- Zest (rind) and juice from one large orange
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Half and half (10%) cream for garnishing
- Extra basil for garnishing
- Heat the olive oil or butter in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic for one minute. Add the carrots and sweet potatoes and cook for 4 minutes. Add the mixed spice and cook for one minute. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Stir in the vegetable or chicken stock, add the basil stems and bring the soup to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Discard the basil stems and blend the soup until smooth.
- Rinse the pan and pour back the soup into it. Stir in the orange zest (rind) and juice. Heat the soup gently, stirring occasionally until piping hot.
- Serve the soup. Swirl in the cream and garnish with basil.
- Last Updated: 06 June 2019
Step By Step Photos
This was meant to be a carrot soup, but I had some left over sweet potatoes and I said why not? so it was transformed it into a carrot-sweet-potato soup at the spur of a moment.
Please always assemble all the ingredients, before you start cooking.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic for one minute.
Add the carrots and sweet potatoes and cook for 4 minutes.
Add the mixed spice and cook for one minute.
Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Stir in the vegetable or chicken stock, add two basil stems and bring the soup to the boil.
Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are very tender..
Remove the pan from the heat. Discard the basil stems and blend the soup until smooth.
Rinse the pan and pour back the soup to it. Stir in the orange zest (rind) and juice. Heat the soup gently, stirring occasionally until piping hot.
Serve the soup. Swirl in the cream and garnish with basil.
I hope you enjoyed the soup. If you would like to contribute a recipe as a guest, please contact me at (myfavouritepastime(at)yahoo.com)
myfavouritepastime.com Last Updated: 06 June 2019