With a Dash of Orange Juice
Spring officially began on the 20th March but today felt like ‘real spring’ with temperatures of up to 4 °c (39°F), coupled with some nice cool sunshine. I actually came back from my walk, sweating!! I was a bit slow on posting last week, but I did a lot of cooking so I have piles of posts, waiting to be unleashed.
Today I decided to go orange. As I mentioned last week “orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement and motivation. It’s associated with joy and sunshine. I want to start my week on a bright bubbly note.
I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and also hope you all started your week on a bubbly note, like me. I am trying to be as positive as possible but of course I do slip many times a day. But as we always say, “If you fall, just stand up and walk on.” That reminds me of one day, two weeks ago, when the snow was melting all over the place and I fell on my butt, along with all my grocery. Oh boy-it was so hilarious. I stood up so fast, hoped nobody saw me fall, and walked at Olympic pace. Later on in the night I had a really good laugh. I’m lucky because, somehow, I always fall on my butt. It was so funny, one minute, I was walking happily, and the next minute I was seated on the cold, icy sidewalk, wondering, “What happened?”
So much for the falling trivia, today I want to share the recipe for carrot and sweet potato soup. I love sweet potatoes. In fact, I love all potatoes. So settle back and enjoy the recipe. If you are reading this line, thanks for your patience and support and do come back again. Now for the recipe…
Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Total cooking time: 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- I large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 clove garlics, crushed
- 400g (0.8 Ib) carrots, peeled and sliced
- 300g (½ Ib) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 level teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1000ml (4 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
- Fresh basil sprigs, bruised
- 1 large orange
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Light (single) cream for garnishing
- Extra basil for garnishing
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Sauté onion and garlic for one minute. Add carrots and sweet potatoes, sauté for 4 minutes, add mixed spice then stir and fry for one minute.
- Stir in vegetable or chicken stock, add two basil sprigs, bring soup to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove pan from heat. Discard basil sprigs and allow soup to cool then blend it in a blender or use a stick blender.
- Finely grate rind from the orange and squeeze juice, strain the juice.
- Rinse the pan. Return the soup to it, stir in orange rind and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the pan to the heat, add strained orange juice. Cook gently, stirring occasionally until piping hot. Serve soup, swirl in the light cream and garnish with basil.
- Last Updated: 5 December 2014