Chocolate Wholewheat Biscuits
In the UK and other parts of the world these would be rightfully called biscuits and not cookies. The best part about these biscuits (cookies) is the chocolate. Please do not omit the chocolate and buy the best quality you can find. I wish you a happy baking!!!!
Chocolate Wholewheat Cookies
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Baking Time: 12-15 minutes; Makes: 36-40 cookies
- 125g (1 cup) wholemeal flour
- 95g (¾ cup) all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 3½ tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 115g (1 stick, ½ cup ) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 110g (½ cup packed) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 125g (4½ oz) semi sweet chocolate
- 15g (1 tablespoon) butter
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC) convection setting or 400ºF (200ºC) regular setting. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment. Sift the flours, and baking powder. Stir in coconut and flax seeds. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
- Using the lowest speed stir in the flour in three batches. It will form a soft dough. Remove and form dough into a ball. Roll ½ tablespoons of the dough (15g) into balls and arrange I inch apart (2.5cm) on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten with a fork, then bake about 12 minutes or until light golden. Cool on the baking sheet before transferring.
- Melt the chocolate: place the chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl and melt over simmering water until smooth. Dip 1/3 of each cooled biscuit into melted chocolate and place on a tray lined with parchment and leave to set. (I usually put mine in the cold room).
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Points to Note
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the biscuits at 375ºF (190ºC) convection setting for 12 minutes.
Step By Step Photos
Assemble all ingredients before you start
This is what the soft dough look like
Roll ½ tablespoons of the dough (15g/½oz) into balls and arrange I inch apart (2.5cm) on the prepared baking sheet.
Flatten with a fork
then bake about 12 minutes or until light golden. Cool on the baking sheet before transferring.
Dip ⅓ of each cooled biscuit into melted chocolate and place on a tray lined with parchment and leave to set. (I usually put mine in the cold room).
Store in an airtight container