The best part about this cake is the Rum…ahem. If you don’t have any on stand by, you can use fortified wines like Marsala, Sherry, Port or Madeira. The frosting is optional but it makes a huge difference. If you have time, please make it. Have a great week!
Rum and Raisin Coffee Cake
- 175g ( ¾ cup, 1½ stick) margarin (or butter), softened
- 125g (½ cup + 2tbsp) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 250g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 2 tablespoons coffee granules dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water and cooled
- 1 cup chopped raisins
- 30g (2 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon coffee granules
- 1½ tablespoon hot milk or cream (10%)
- 1½ cups icing sugar
- Grease and line the base of a deep 8-inch (20cm) round cake pan. Preheat the oven to 340ºF (170ºC) ten minutes before baking.
- Combine the butter sugar, eggs, flour, milk, rum and coffee in the bowl of your stand mixer or a large bowl if using a hand mixer.
- Beat on low speed until all ingredients are combined.
- Continue beating on medium speed until the batter is smooth and pale in colour, about 1-1½ minutes.Stir in the raisins.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan and level the top. Bake 45-55 minutes or until golden on top and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes before transferring onto the wire rack to cool.
- To make icing: mix the coffee with the hot milk or cream and stir until dissolved. Cool slightly. Beat the coffee with the butter and stir in enough icing sugar to make a spreading consistency. Spread over the top of the cake. (this is enough for the top only if you want more double amount).
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Points to Note:
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperatures depending on your oven. I baked the bread at 340°F (°C) for 50 Minutes.
- Please make sure the butter is very soft before you start mixing.
Step By Step Photos
This is the consistency of the batter. Stir in the raisins.
Transfer mixture into prepared pan and bake 45-55 minutes or until golden on top and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Make the icing and spread over the top. The icing is only enough to spread on top, if you want to do fancy things with it, please double amount. I like very little icing.