I love cooking rice because it’s so versatile. My favourite additions are corn and peas. I am always in the frozen food section, hauling large bags of frozen corn and peas….. I am not a fan of frozen broccoli or cauliflower. But I do love the mixed veggies too, with green beans, peas and carrots. Have a wonderful day!
Basmati Rice with Coconut Corn and Peas
Preparation time: 5 minutes: Cooking time: 30 minutes: Serves: 4-8
- 400g (2 cups) basmati rice
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional) or finely chopped chillies
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 400ml (13.5 fl oz) can good quality coconut milk
- 350ml (1½ cups) water or vegetable stock (you can also add a bouillon cube to the water)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear. Drain thoroughly, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based 11-inch pan or skillet. Add the rice and chilli flakes and stir and fry for 5 minutes, until the rice is fairly dry. Add the peas and corn in the last 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and water (or stock) and bring to a rolling boil. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine. Cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes. Please do not lift the lid during the twelve minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave undisturbed for a further 10 minutes. Lift the lid, fluff the rice and serve immediately.
myfavouritepastime.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you!