I love recipes that say “soak for one hour, then simmer for 2 hours” or “marinate for 24 hours then barbeque for 15 minutes.” All I need is a high decibel timer to jolt me out of my reverie.
I think that’s why I love cooking rice. It’s one of those foods you can cook while watching your favorite program. One of those foods that never goes wrong for me.
If I am cooking pasta, I have to worry about “al-dente’, the perfect cooking point and many other things like: having a rolling boil and even imagining I’m Goldilocks, (not too hot, not too cold, but just right). Some cooking sites even advice you to stir the pasta in a figure eight motion and then ‘shock’ it in iced water for 3-5 minutes. Others say the cooking water should taste like the ocean, so add salt liberally.
Today I’ll share a simple and elegant rice recipe. Not too many controversial instructions but a very tasty outcome!
Always remember to assemble all ingredients, before you start.
Preparation time: 5 minutes plus time needed to soak, Total cooking time: 25-30 minutes; Serves: 4
- 300 g (1½ cups) basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons ghee or cooking oil
- I teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt to taste
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- Soak the rice in cold water for 30 minutes. Drain thoroughly, set aside.
- Heat the oil or ghee in a pan. Fry fennel seeds over medium heat until browned.
- Add rice and salt, stir and fry for 5 minutes. Lower heat in the last 2 minutes.
- Add water and bring to the boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 12 minutes. Please do not lift the lid during the twelve minutes.
- Remove from heat and leave undisturbed for a further 10 minutes. Lift the lid, fluff the rice and serve.
Points to note:
- The water will drastically reduce in the first six minutes. Just lower the heat and make sure it doesn’t burn at the bottom- do not lift the lid.
- If you prefer less oil, reduce it. I used 2½ tablespoons.
- You can also use other aromatic seeds like ajowan, caraway or cumin.
- For long grain rice, simmer for 15-18 minutes. Then set aside for another 10 minutes.
- Last updated on 15 March 2013